Adrian Peterson had just six carries for 18 yards in the New Orleans Saints’ loss to the Minnesota Vikings on Monday night.Credit Adam Bettcher/Getty Images Adrian Peterson got the start for the New Orleans Saints in his return to Minnesota, but he found himself an afterthought in a matchup that quickly turned into a game-long tribute to another former Viking: Randy Moss.
He split carries with Mark Ingram and Alvin Kamara, with none of the three backs finding any room to run against a Minnesota defense that looked playoff-ready.
At multiple times during the game, Peterson looked visibly frustrated, at one point stalking angrily behind Coach Sean Payton on the sideline.
While Peterson’s return was a cause for some mixed emotions, the Vikings gave their fans something to cheer by inducting Moss into the team’s Ring of Honor at halftime.
Stefon Diggs, who was wearing cleats signed by Randy Moss, paid tribute to the former Minnesota Viking after scoring a touchdown in the first half on Monday night.Credit Adam Bettcher/Getty Images Diggs, a third-year wide receiver out of Maryland, wore special cleats to honor Moss, and was electric in the first half, scoring two touchdowns, the first of which he celebrated with a homage to Moss’s signature moves.
- Ring of Honor induction means Randy Moss will stay a VikingMinneapolis Star Tribune
- Saints vs. Vikings live updates: Scores, highlights, and results for 'Monday ...SB Nation
- Postgame Quotes: Vikings-SaintsVikings.com
- Stefon Diggs takes advantage of lax celebration rule after two touchdownsTwinCities.com-Pioneer Press
- Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen, Randy Moss rock custom footwear honoring Randy MossCBSSports.com
- Diggs big, scores twice to give Vikings win in season opener vs. SaintsINFORUM
- WATCH: Diggs goes full Moss on MNF, posterizes defender, punts ball into standsCBSSports.com
- Stefon Diggs plays big as Vikings' offense rolls over SaintsESPN (blog)
- Vikings induct Randy Moss into Ring of HonorTwinCities.com-Pioneer Press