Late Monday night, a timeout and a conversation between two teammates during that break was the reason the Denver Broncos were able to pull off a game-winning field-goal block to beat the Los Angeles Chargers 24-21.
The first time Chargers rookie kicker Younghoe Koo tried a game-tying field goal with five seconds left, he made it but the Broncos had called timeout right before the snap.
He got past rookie Chargers right guard Dan Feeney and said he was so close he felt the ball graze his fingers.
The Chargers Looked like they were going to get blown out when they trailed 24-7 in the fourth quarter, but here they were at the end of regulation, lining up to send the game to overtime.
The difference in winning a game like Monday night might be something as imperceptible as a defensive lineman anticipating how a guard will block a field-goal attempt, and figuring out with his teammate during a timeout how to beat it.
- Broncos Block Late FG, Top Chargers 24-21CBS DFW
- Monday Night Football score, highlights, stats: Siemian leads Broncos over ...CBSSports.com
- Chargers' wild rally comes up short when late FG is deflectedLos Angeles Times
- LA's Chargers* looked flat, sloppy before rallyThe San Diego Union-Tribune
- Chargers OL has its ups and downs vs. BroncosThe San Diego Union-Tribune
- Philip Rivers falls short in comeback at Denver Broncos: “This was as loud as ...The Denver Post
- Shelby Harris saves Broncos in 24-21 defeat of Chargers9NEWS.com
- Chargers vs. Broncos live updates: Scores, highlights, and results for 'Monday ...SB Nation
- Broncos hold off Chargers' rally by a fingertip in openerNFL.com