On Sunday, Mccarthy won best guest actress on a comedy series at the Creative Arts Emmys, the overflow awards show that happens a week before the main Emmys you know and love, for her appearances on “Saturday Night Live” (Dave Chappelle, who also hosted SNL this year, won for best guest actor).
Following in the footsteps of Will Ferrell’s golly-gee George W. Bush, Tina Fey’s gun-toting Sarah Palin and Alec Baldwin’s pouty-mouthed President Trump, McCarthy’s gum-chewing portrayal of the embattled press secretary on “Saturday Night Live” is already reaching “best of” status.
McCarthy, who was a no-show at Sunday’s ceremony, admitted to being nervous the first time she showed up at Studio 8H as “Spicey.” In a interview with the Hollywood Reporter , the “Ghostbusters” star said she didn’t “do impressions.” Could’ve fooled us.
“But when I read the script, I was like, ‘Oh, God, that is juicy, but I don’t understand how we’re going to physically make it work.’ To which the amazing special effects person at SNL was like, ‘Oh, yeah, that’s not that big of a deal.
During the sketch comedy show’s wildly successful 42nd season, McCarthy played Spicer four times, including bits featuring the now former press secretary hiding in the bushes, riding a motorized podium and wearing high heels.
- Melissa McCarthy's Sean Spicer Impression Just Won Her an EmmyVICE en_us
- McCarthy wins for Spicer skitThe New Paper
- Melissa McCarthy, Dave Chappelle ('SNL') latest in long line of 'Saturday ...Goldderby
- Alexis Bledel, Melissa McCarthy win awards at creative arts EmmysCBS News
- Melissa McCarthy, Alexis Bledel, Dave Chappelle among Creative Arts Emmy winnersUPI.com
- 'SNL' and 'Stranger Things' Take Early Emmys LeadNew York Times
- Melissa McCarthy rightly wins Emmy for ruining Sean Spicer's lifeSalon
- Melissa McCarthy Wins Emmy for Sean Spicer RoleNewsmax
- Melissa McCarthy just won an Emmy for her portrayal of Sean Spicer on 'SNL'Business Insider