"I think there is a possibility that a very extensive subglacial world may be in place in Antarctica , where over a hundred volcanoes [with caves] are located," Fraser said.
"I thought it would be interesting to have a look into if we could see any signs of life, such as plants and animals, in the cave given that the conditions there are extremely hospitable and even humans could feel quite comfortable there," she said.
Fraser added that her team detected DNA from what you "normally find in Antarctica," including algae, mosses and even small animals.
Fraser said that she did not rule out that her team will return to the cave with an exploratory expedition in the near future, hailing international cooperation on the matter.
The results of a study on an active volcano beneath Mount Erebus may indicate the existence of a massive subglacial world in Antarctica, Dr. Ceridwen Fraser from Australian National University's Fenner School of Environment and Society told Sputnik.
- Scientists shocked by discovery underneath Antarctica iceMorning Ticker
- Shocking! Aliens might be living under the frozen ice of AntarcticaThe TeCake
- Is there life beneath the ice? Antarctica's mysterious cavesNoosa News
- Antarctic Caves Might Host Mysterious Forms Of Life: What's Inside These ...The Inquisitr
- Antarctica Mysterious Caves: Is Life Exists beneath the Ice?Phone Mantra
- Researchers find warm oasis beneath Antarctica's frozen wastelandZME Science
- Secret life may thrive under warm Antarctic caves: studyGears Of Biz
- Undiscovered Ecosystems May be Hiding in Antarctica's CavesGears Of Biz
- Secret life may thrive under warm Antarctic cavesClickLancashire