Few had expected Beckham to play, largely because he hadn’t been anywhere close to 100 percent in any practices leading up to Sunday night’s divisional matchup with the Cowboys.
A Beckham without a cut and footspeed is a liability, so it’s the smart play to leave him on the sideline for the night.
The Giants are expected to contend for a playoff berth this season, and losing Beckham for a longer period than expected wouldn’t be worth even a divisional win over Dallas.
Odell Beckham was doubtful right up until game time Sunday night.
____ Jay Busbee is a writer for Yahoo Sports and the author of EARNHARDT NATION , on sale now at Amazon or wherever books are sold.
- Fantasy Football Week 1: Last-minute replacements for inactive Odell Beckham ...CBSSports.com
- Odell Beckham Jr. OUT for Giants' season opener in DallasNew York Daily News
- Ankle injury sidelines Odell Beckham Jr. for Giants' openerESPN
- Odell won't be saving the Giants tonightNew York Post
- Beckham out with ankle injury for Giants' opener at CowboysmySanAntonio.com
- Live Blog: New York Giants vs Dallas CowboysCBS DFW
- Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr. officially inactive vs. CowboysSporting News
- Odell Beckham Jr. will not play in New York Giants' opener vs. Dallas CowboysUSA TODAY
- Odell Beckham (ankle) inactive for Giants vs. CowboysNFL.com