That, added to exoduses from the Florida Keys and surrounding towns, would make this the largest mass evacuation in American history, beating 2005’s Houston-area Hurricane Rita exit by millions .
Officials set up fuel stations along the highway, and rapid response tow teams gear up to get damaged vehicles off the road ASAP.
Live air traffic images Friday afternoon from the flight tracking website FlightRadar24 show an abundance of commercial airliners and private planes getting out of the area.
Most Floridian airports began suspending flights Friday afternoon, and will completely close up shop at some point Saturday as Irma arrives.
In an all-caps message tweeted Friday night , the National Weather Center outpost in Key West reminded residents that “THIS IS AS REAL AS IT GETS,” and that they still have time to leave.
- Florida and Google Maps team up to mark road closures due to IrmaWDIV Detroit
- Google Maps To Report Closed Roads In Real-Time As Hurricane Irma HitsMediaPost Communications
- Use Google Maps OfflineMobileDekho (blog)
- How Does Googles SOS Alert for Hurricane Irma, Become the Best? Find OutDaily Tech News (blog)
- Google Creates Hurricane Irma Digital Survival KitMediaPost Communications
- What does Google's SOS alert for Hurricane Irma mean?The Bellingham Herald
- Google Maps for iOS Now Lets You Measure DistanceDeathRattleSports.com