A balanced and surprisingly cautious game sprung into life when Kevin De Bruyne split Liverpool’s center backs and Sergio Aguero rounded Simon Mignolet to slide home an opener.
Gabriel Jesus had a goal ruled out for offside minutes after play resumed, but there was nothing wrong with his header deep into first-half stoppage time.
Liverpool exploited space down the attacking right, and Ederson had to get down quickly to his right to deny Salah after the Egyptian winger was played in.
The City keeper, several yards outside his penalty area, reached it first with his head, and a split second later caught a Mane boot to the face.
But Liverpool, who suffered its first loss of the young campaign, will look back on the send off as the moment its afternoon went terribly wrong.
- Manchester City keeper Ederson sent for tests after Sadio Mane challengeESPN FC
- AT HALF: De Bruyne pulling strings vs. 10-man Liverpool (video)Yahoo Sports
- Sergio Aguero starts for Man City as Simon Mignolet returns for LiverpoolESPN FC
- Jurgen Klopp Reveals Liverpool Players Have Welcomed Philippe Coutinho Back ...Sports Illustrated
- Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool: Premier League – as it happenedThe Guardian
- Premier League: Manchester City ride on Gabriel Jesus, Leroy Sane brace to hit ...Firstpost
- Premier League - live: Leicester vs Chelsea, Everton vs Tottenham, Arsenal vs ...The Independent
- Premier League fixtures & results: TV schedule, live stream & guide to Week 4Goal.com
- Manchester City 5 Liverpool 0: Sadio Mane sees red as hosts run riotEvening Standard