He upset Federer on Wednesday night and fans will have to wait another year if they hope to see two of tennis' most decorated players occupy the court at Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York.
In the women's draw, Sloane Stephens, 24, and Madison Keys, 22, emerged from the first all-American semifinal in a U.S. Open in 36 years and will face off in Saturday's final.
Anderson and Carreño Busta have made the most on the other side of the bracket with a wide-open draw and the winner will be awarded a spot in the finals to face either Nadal or del Potro.
Without notables Serena Williams, Simona Halep, Caroline Wozniaki, Elina Svitolina, Karolina Pliskova and Garbine Muguruza, the last women's Slam title is also up for grabs.
- Rafael Nadal runs over Juan Martin del Potro en route to US Open finalWashington Post
- Rafael Nadal and Kevin Anderson Advance to US Open FinalNew York Times
- The Latest: Nadal beats del Potro, to play for US Open titleMiami Herald
- Nadal overwhelms del Potro; faces Anderson in US Open finalCharlotte Observer
- Tennis - Anderson battles back to reach maiden grand slam finalReuters
- Ruthless Rafa Sprints Into US Open FinalATP World Tour
- Rafael Nadal powers into US Open final after blitzing Juan Martin del PotroSporting News
- US Open semifinal: Rafael Nadal vs. Juan Martin del PotroNewsday
- Kevin Anderson wins to become lowest-ranked man in US Open finalTennis Magazine