With large front and rear aprons, side skirts and a prominent roof spoiler, the new GP Concept is significantly wider than the current Mini.
“If you know about MINI, you’ll be aware of the brand’s long and successful history in motor sport,” says Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President BMW Group Design.
The doors are opened using recessed grips with fabric straps, leaving the driver and passenger to climb out through the roll cage in typical racing car style.
Indeed, the classic Mini was transformed by legendary sports car designer John Cooper into a byword for driving fun on the road and an extraordinarily successful competitor on the race track and rally scene.
Today, the John Cooper Works name is synonymous with products and models where quality is rooted in established motorsport know-how and an association with the British premium small car which dates back to 1959.
- Official: MINI John Cooper Works GP ConceptGTspirit
- Concept hints at new Mini John Cooper Works GPGears Of Biz
- Mini unveils radical John Cooper Works GP ConceptThe Week UK
- Race-inspired Mini JCW GP Concept unveiledCarWale
- Mini John Cooper Works GP mooted for third-gen HatchBangkok Post
- Mini races from one extreme to anotherMalay Mail Online
- Mini John Cooper Works GP Concept to Debut at 2017 Frankfurt Motor ShowGears Of Biz
- Mini's new John Cooper Works GP Concept has me hot and botheredArs Technica
- Mini John Cooper Works GP Concept revealed ahead of Frankfurt debutDeathRattleSports.com