Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith (11) prepares to throw a touchdown pass to Tyreek Hill while under pressure from New England Patriots cornerback Eric Rowe (25) during the second half of an NFL football game, Thursday, Sept. 7, 2017, in Foxborough, Mass.
Quarterback Alex Smith threw four touchdown passes in a performance that was far more Brady-like than Brady’s, and the Chiefs emerged with a 42-27 victory Thursday at Gillette Stadium in the NFL’s season-opening game.
Patriots fans had their chance, as promised, to savor last season’s Super Bowl title and vent their hostility toward visiting NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.
New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady watches play from the sideline during the second half of an NFL football game against the Kansas City Chiefs, Thursday, Sept. 7, 2017, in Foxborough, Mass.
Last season began with Brady serving his four-game suspension but ended with him essentially halting all debate about which quarterback is the greatest in NFL history.
- Alex Smith Made the Patriots Look Like ClownsSports Illustrated
- Kareem Hunt's Career Night Comes in First GameSports Illustrated
- Kareem Hunt, Alex Smith lead Chiefs to 42-27 win over Patriots in NFL season ...Chicago Tribune
- Hunt, Chiefs blast Patriots in season-opening rompThe Detroit News
- Snap Judgments: A banner-hanging reality check for the PatriotsPatriots.com
- NFL 2017: New England Patriots lose opener to Kansas City ChiefsBBC News
- Patriots' rare, disheartening loss offers harsh dose of realityNFL.com
- Undefeated Patriots talk ends quickly as they're blasted by Chiefs in openerYahoo Sports
- Takeaways: Alex Smith, Kareem Hunt pace Chiefs' winNFL.com