Purring over a typically great, abstract guitar loop from Frank Dukes , Zayn sounded relaxed and at ease trying to convince a girl that she’s too young to be worried about love.
That song was a welcome respite from the serious, tightly-coiled tracks he had released previously, and was also a necessary experiment that signaled that Zayn was still exploring what his music should sound like.
With its theatrical thrust from quiet verse to loud chorus, it mimics his early singles, but when Sia’s voice enters she immediately tags it as her own, not stealing the song as much as highlighting the similarities it shares with her long catalog of crashing ballads.
In theory, a Zayn and Sia collaboration could be exciting, especially if he is shaking himself out of the hermetic cocoon he built with his first album.
Alas, the end result is fairly predictable and mostly uninteresting, even if the potential of Zayn maneuvering his way through the pop world remains intriguing, somewhere out there in the distance.
- Is Zayn Malik Using an Old Chinatown Trope to Grow His Bad Boy Image?Vogue.com
- Zayn Malik drops epic Sia collaboration Dust Till DawnDaily Star
- Zayn Malik and Jemima Kirke Star in Music Video for His New Song "Dusk Till ...E! Online
- Watch Zayn Malik lead car chase in 'epic' Dusk Till Dawn video with SIAEvening Standard
- Zayn Takes The Wheel For A High-Speed Chase In His 'Dusk Till Dawn' VideoMTV.com
- Zayn Malik Drops New Single 'Dusk Till Dawn,' Featuring Sia (Watch)Variety
- Zayn Malik tricks, escapes the cops in his music video for 'Dusk Till Dawn ...USA TODAY
- Zayn Malik Drops Action-Packed Video for His New Single 'Dusk Till Dawn'Us Weekly
- Zayn Malik's New Music Video Is Out And Stars Girls' Jemima KirkeELLE UK