“In finding her suitable for parole, the panel determined that she does not pose an unreasonable risk to public safety if she is released,” California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation deputy press secretary Terry Thornton tells PEOPLE.
Van Houten was convicted, along with other members of the Manson “family,” of the brutal 1969 slayings of Los Angeles grocer Leno LaBianca and his wife, Rosemary.
“Once again, we are surprised and disappointed that the board feels that inmate Van Houten, who participated in the Manson murders, is safe to be released back into the community,” Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey said, in a statement obtained by PEOPLE.
During the hearing, Van Houten also said that after her parents divorced when she was 14, after which she began hanging around a group of misfits and started doing marijuana and LSD.
• PEOPLE’s special edition True Crime Stories: 35 Real Cases That Inspired the Show Law & Order is on sale now .
- Manson follower Leslie Van Houten granted parole in notorious murders ...Los Angeles Times
- Ex-Charles Manson Follower Must Get Past Governor to See FreedomTIME
- Charles Manson's teen killer granted parole againThe Mercury News
- Charles Manson Follower Leslie Van Houten Recommended For ParoleNPR
- California board grants parole for Manson ex-follower Van HoutenThe Union Leader
- Manson cult killer Louise Van Houten recommended for parole 48 years after ...Sky News
- Manson Accomplice Granted Parole After 40 Years (Photos)Opposing Views
- Manson Family Member Leslie Approved For Parole, 48 Years After Brutal MurdersRadar Online
- Former Manson disciple Van Houten granted parole againWISH-TV