New England announced the move Thursday, about two hours before kicking off its season opener against the Chiefs.
In addition, the Patriots signed offensive lineman Ted Karras to the 53-man roster.
Mitchell was limited in practice throughout the week with a knee issue and appeared in only one preseason game.
It is another indication as to why the Patriots traded quarterback Jacoby Brissett to the Colts for receiver Phillip Dorsett last week.
AdvertisementKarras was originally cut when the Patriots announced their initial 53-man roster last week.
- Patriots sign OL Ted Karras to the 53-man roster from the practice squad ...Patriots.com
- Report: Patriots Receiver Malcolm Mitchell Headed to Injured ReserveSports Illustrated
- Reports: Patriots put Malcom Mitchell on IRWCVB Boston
- Patriots WR corps thinning with loss of Malcolm MitchellFanRag Sports (blog)
- Patriots Place Wide Receiver Malcolm Mitchell on Injured ReserveNECN
- Patriots place Malcolm Mitchell on injured reserveBoston Herald
- New England Patriots place WR Malcolm Mitchell on injured reserveAll 22
- Patriots sign OL Ted Karras just hours before taking on ChiefsAll 22
- Patriots place WR Malcolm Mitchell (knee) on IRNFL.com