Kansas City also released offensive lineman Jordan Devey, with the moves coming just hours ahead of the team's season-opening game against the defending champion New England Patriots .
The departures of Spiller and Devey likely are moves that allow the Chiefs to sign them following the season opener without guaranteeing their contracts.
Spiller initially was released during the team's final cut down on Saturday, only to be brought back the following day when cornerback Steven Nelson was placed on injured reserve.
The Chiefs are expected to rely on rookie starter Kareem Hunt, backup Charcandrick West and fullback Anthony Sherman versus the Patriots.
Devey was set for a backup role against his former team, with which he spent parts of the 2013 and all the 2014 season.
- Chiefs release CJ Spiller, Jordan DeveyNBCSports.com
- Here's why the Chiefs released CJ Spiller again before kickoff against PatriotsKansas City Star
- Chiefs release veteran former Pro Bowler CJ Spiller on day of season openerSportsnaut
- Kansas City Chiefs just cut CJ Spiller ... againArrowhead Pride (blog)
- Chiefs release RB Spiller hours before openerNews-Press Now
- Chiefs release RB CJ Spiller, OL Jordan DeveyChiefs Wire
- Can anyone explain the Chiefs re-release of CJ Spiller again?Arrowhead Addict
- Chiefs release CJ Spiller for second time in a weekNFL.com
- Chiefs release Spiller, Devey in bookkeeping maneuverFredericksburg.com