Breanna Stewart had 23 points and eight rebounds but the eighth-seeded Storm could not overcome a season-low 34.9 shooting percentage in a 79-69 loss to the Phoenix Mercury in a game played at Arizona State’s Wells Fargo Arena on Wednesday.
Sue Bird’s jumper brought the Storm to 67-63 before Diana Taurasi expanded the lead to 70-63 on a three-pointer with 1:12 left.
Bird, who had 10 points, made a three-pointer with 31 seconds left to cut the deficit to 73-68, but the Storm never had the ball with a chance to tie thereafter.
The Mercury lost a key piece when Taurasi picked two fouls within a 13-second span midway through the quarter and also was removed.
Seattle shoots a season-low 34.9 percent from the field and falls in the first-round elimination game for the second consecutive season.
- Washington, Phoenix win 1st-round games in WNBA playoffsYahoo News UK
- Superstars, unsung heroes impress in opening round of WNBA playoffsSwish Appeal
- Takeaways: Phoenix Mercury beat at home Seattle Storm in first round of WNBA ...Summitt Hoops
- WNBA assist leader Bird vs top scorer Taurasi in playoffsBakersfield Now
- Mercury knock off Seattle to advance in WNBA playoffsAZCentral.com
- Diana Taurasi whips wild pass to Leilani Mitchell for clutch bucketArizona Sports
- Brittney Griner leads Mercury past StormFanRag Sports (blog)
- Briefly The WireThe Register-Guard
- Bird, Taurasi square off tonightWalla Walla Union-Bulletin