WFAN sports-talk celebrity Craig Carton was arrested Wednesday and charged with a securities and wire fraud conspiracy in Manhattan federal court in a case involving an alleged multimillion dollar discount-ticket Ponzi scheme used to pay casino debts.
Carton, who hosts a morning talk show with former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason, and co-defendant Michael Wright lured investors by falsely claiming they had arrangements with promoters and entertainers to get discounted tickets for resale at a profit, prosecutors alleged.
But in fact, according to a criminal complaint, Carton and Wright had no such arrangement, and used the funds they raise to pay personal debts and to repay prior investors in the scheme.
A separate Securities and Exchange Commission complaint Wednesday suggested CC-1 Joseph Meli, a New York man who was charged criminally in January.
“Crain Carton and Michael Wright deceived investors and raised millions of dollars through misrepresentation and outright lies,” said Acting Manhattan U.S. Attorney Joon Kim.
- Craig Carton arrested: New York radio host accused of fraud to repay gambling debtCBS News
- WFAN host Craig Carton arrested, faces fraud chargesNJ.com
- 'Boomer & Carton' Co-Host Craig Carton ArrestedCBS New York
- WFAN's 'Boomer and Carton' co-host reportedly arrested in fake ticket scamWashington Post
- 'Boomer & Carton' Co-Host Arrested in Alleged Fake Ticket Scam After Accruing ...NBC New York
- WFAN's Craig Carton arrested in concert ticket Ponzi schemeNew York Post
- 'Boomer and Carton' co-host Craig Carton arrestedNew York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV
- Craig Carton, 'Boomer & Carton' co-host and New Rochelle native, arrested on ...The Journal News | LoHud.com
- 'Boomer and Carton' radio host Craig Carton arrestedNew Zealand Herald