Nadal powered into the U.S. Open semifinals and kept alive the possibility for a matchup with his longtime rival, overwhelming Russian teenager Andrey Rublev 6-1, 6-2, 6-2 on Wednesday.
Rublev was the youngest U.S. Open quarterfinalist since Andy Roddick was also 19 in 2001 but he didn't give himself much chance, committing 43 unforced errors and seven double faults.
The 20th-seeded Vandeweghe matched her best result in a Grand Slam tournament, having also reached the semifinals of the Australian Open in January before falling to Venus Williams .
The Czech had been starting slowly during the tournament, dropping the first set in the second and third round before overwhelming unseeded American Jennifer Brady in 46 minutes on Monday.
Nine years after winning the U.S. Open junior title, she finally got past a major quarterfinal in Australia, then needed only eight months to do it again.
- Nadal waits for Federer at US Open; All-American women's SFsMiami Herald
- Nadal schools young Russian, awaits FedererReuters
- US Open: Rafael Nadal tops Andrey Rublev to reach semifinalsNewsday
- US Open 2017 LIVE updates: Roger Federer loses first set to Juan Martin del PotroExpress.co.uk
- Roger Federer v Juan Martin del Potro LIVE: Latest updates as Rafael Nadal ...Express.co.uk
- Federer to face heavy-hitting Del Potro at US OpenReuters
- Talk like a man! Federer not 'boyfriend' material, says NadalNew Straits Times Online
- Nadal schools young Rublev, awaits FedererMalay Mail Online
- Ruthless Rafael Nadal romps into US Open semi-finalsIrish Times