The news comes a month after a new screenwriter, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child ’s Jack Thorne, come onto the project to rewrite the script by Trevorrow and co-writer Derek Connolly.
Episode IX was reportedly set to begin shooting in January of next year, but it’s not clear whether this creative change will push that date further out.
Rogue One had to undergo extensive reshoots before release, and earlier this year producer Kathleen Kennedy took the extraordinary step of firing directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller of the standalone Han Solo film just two weeks before the end of principal photography.
Ron Howard has since been brought on to finish the film, but the 11th-hour move raised questions as to why things were allowed to progress so far — particularly when massive creative differences apparently existed between Kennedy and Lord and Miller.
The Skywalker saga is the lifeblood of the Star Wars franchise — without Luke, Leia, Han, and now Rey, Finn, and Poe, there is no framework for the various standalone films to hang upon.
- Why Colin Trevorrow's 'Episode IX' Departure Is Bad News For Disney's 'Star ...Forbes
- 'Star Wars Episode IX' loses director Colin Trevorrow89.3 KPCC
- 'Star Wars 9' director Colin Trevorrow also fired by LucasfilmFox News
- 'Star Wars': Colin Trevorrow out as 'Episode IX' director over differing 'visions'USA TODAY
- Colin Trevorrow Out as 'Star Wars: Episode IX' DirectorVariety
- 'Star Wars: Episode IX' director Colin Trevorrow steps downCNET
- Star Wars: Episode IX Has Lost Its DirectorGQ Magazine
- Another Star Wars director down: Colin Trevorrow out for 'Episode IX'Mashable
- Colin Trevorrow will no longer direct Star Wars: Episode IXVox