Although they didn't flash much cohesion Tuesday evening at Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano in San Pedro Sula, the Americans secured a crucial 1-1 Qualifying draw against Honduras thanks to an 86th-minute equalizer from substitute Bobby Wood.
Honduras, which fielded the more dynamic side for the majority of Tuesday's proceedings, remained in fourth place with nine points due to the United States' superior goal differential.
Arena's defense proved flimsy in the early going, and the porous back line was exposed in the 28th minute when Romell Quioto sprinted past Omar Gonzalez and banged in a shot off the far post to hand Honduras a swift 1-0 lead.
While there were glimpses of encouraging buildup, namely between Christian Pulisic and Jordan Morris, an absence of fluidity and quality interplay in the midfield moving toward the attacking third reigned supreme.
Honduran keeper Luis Lopez stood tall, but Pulisic flicked the rebound airborne before Morris headed to Wood and the 24-year-old tapped in what may be the goal that saved the Americans' qualifying chances.
- Wood Helps USMNT Avoid World Cup Qualifying Disaster in Key Draw vs. HondurasSports Illustrated
- Bobby Wood saves US in crucial World Cup qualifying draw at HondurasYahoo Sports
- Honduras 1-1 USMNT: Wood leads heist as Yanks pilfer pointNBCSports.com
- Wood equalizing goal gets US out of Honduras with 1-1 drawColumbus Ledger-Enquirer
- What the US Men's National Team needs to do to qualify for the World CupBusiness Insider
- Arena makes 7 lineup changes in tropical heat of HondurasThe News Tribune
- Honduras v USA highlights: 1-1 in World Cup qualifier between Socceroos' play ...Fox Sports (blog)
- Colombia vs. Brazil Live Stream: How to Watch Online For FreeHeavy.com
- USMNT Team News: Arena makes seven changes from Costa Rica defeatGoal.com