Before last year Sam Querrey had been a professional tennis player for a decade without ever breaking through to a Grand Slam quarterfinal.
No American man has won a Grand Slam title since Andy Roddick captured the 2003 US Open -- 14 years ago.
Meantime, five Europeans -- Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and Stan Wawrinka -- have accounted for 51 of the last 55 Grand Slam titles.
Now here he is with a golden opportunity at his home Slam to come through the bottom half of the draw, which as John McEnroe said, is wide open enough to "drive a Mack truck through."
4 seed Alexander Zverev, considered by many the favorite to come through the bottom half of the draw after Murray pulled out, lost in the second round.
- Sam Querrey demolishes Mischa Zverev in straight sets to reach US Open quarter ...Daily Mail
- Querrey tramples over Zverev to reach quarter-finalsReuters
- The Latest: Querrey 1st US man in US Open quarters since '11Washington Post
- Last American man left looks awesome advancing at US OpenNew York Post
- Querrey Masterclass Carries American Hopes Into QuartersATP World Tour
- Big-hitting Querrey into quarter-finalsSport24
- US Open 2017: Sam Querrey races past Mischa Zverev, Diego Schwartzman dumps ...Eurosport.com
- Mischa ZverevEurosport.com
- Querrey gives US 1st US Open men's quarterfinalist since '11USA TODAY