In a press conference on Sunday, she said she was first attracted to Kei Komuro's "smile like the sun".
"While I worked to help the emperor and fulfil duties as a Royal family member as much as I can, I've been cherishing my own life."
The formal announcement came from Japan's Imperial Household Agency on Sunday, after local media reported news of the planned engagement in May .
The announcement was originally expected in July, but was postponed after a rain disaster hit western Japan.
- Fairytale romance: Japanese princess gives up her royal status to marry commonerDeccan Chronicle
- Princess Mako Officially Leaves Her Royal Status to Marry a Commoner with a ...PEOPLE.com
- RUSH HOUR: This man's ex is an evil geniusNEWS.com.au
- Japanese Princess gives up royal status to marryYahoo7 Be
- Japanese princess gives up her royal status to marry commonerTimes Now
- Opting Out: Princess Mako of Japanese Royal Family to Marry 'Commoner'Sputnik International
- Japan's Princess Mako Marries Commoner, Sparking Succession DebateThe Inquisitr
- Japanese princess, 25, announces she will give up her royal status after ...The Sun
- Japan princess to marry commonerThe Star Online