France star Antoine Griezmann has paid tribute to Luxembourg after the minnows secured an unlikely 0-0 draw in a World Cup qualifying match in Toulouse on Sunday.
Although France dominated the game and had 31 shots, the visitors gave a gutsy display and even went close to securing an incredible victory when Telstar winger Gerson Rodrigues hit the post on a counterattack.
Even if the hosts were themselves luckless, the Atletico Madrid star was full of admiration for their opponents, comparing them to Diego Simeone’s side.
Both Griezmann and Pogba hit the bar for the French, while Alexandre Lacazette had a header cleared off the line and visiting goalkeeper Jonathan Joubert had a match to remember.
Despite the draw, France remain top of qualifying Group A, though they must now win fixtures against Bulgaria and Belarus to secure their place at World Cup 2018.
- Deschamps looks for positives after France held by LuxembourgIrish Times
- Luxembourg pull off sensational result as France's World Cup qualifying hopes ...The42
- Deschamps infuriated by wasteful FranceSportstarlive
- 7 remarkable stats which show the full absurdity of Luxembourg's incredible 0 ...Mirror.co.uk
- Brave Luxembourg hold France to draw in World Cup qualifierTimes of India
- Luxembourg holds France to shock 0-0 drawWashington Post
- France held by Luxembourg; Belgium qualifies for 2018 FIFA World CupThe Indian Express
- Luxembourg hold mighty France to scoreless drawThe Statesman
- France are held 0-0 by Luxembourg while Belgium secure World Cup berthThe Guardian