Hamlin won for the second time this season and established himself a strong contender for his first NASCAR crown when he overcame a bad mistake to take the Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway.
Hamlin reeled in Martin Truex Jr. with three laps left, erasing a deficit of some 20 seconds to sweep Darlington's throwback weekend.
After a regular-season finish at Richmond International Raceway next week, the playoffs get going and Hamlin again plans to be hot on the heels of regular-season points champion Truex.
He drove around Joey Logano in the final turn on Saturday for that win, then overcame his miss of pit road and falling 20 seconds behind Martin Truex Jr. to take the Monster Energy Nascar Cup Series title.
NOT EASY: Kyle Busch , who finished second to teammate Hamlin, said Darlington's pit road entrance is one of the trickiest and most difficult to manage in NASCAR.
- Martin Truex Jr. wins opening two stages Sunday to clinch regular-season ...ESPN
- Late break favors HamlinFort Wayne Journal Gazette
- Hamlin wins after miscue at DarlingtonSTLtoday.com
- Martin Truex Jr. loses Southern 500; clinches regular-season titleYahoo Sports
- Denny Hamlin overcomes pit road mistake to win Southern 500USA TODAY
- Hamlin takes thrilling Southern 500 win after Truex blows tireMotorsport.com, Edition: Global
- Martin Truex Jr. clinches Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series 2017 Regular Season ...Nascar
- Hamlin claims second win at Bojangles' Southern 500INFORUM
- Hamlin rebounds from costly error, wins Southern 500 at DarlingtonNascar