Fresno, Calif. (AP) — Josh Hokit accounted for three touchdowns and the Fresno State defense limited Incarnate Word to minus-7 yards rushing on Saturday night to help the Bulldogs beat the Cardinals 66-0 in the season opener for both teams.
Hokit, a sophomore running back, had two short rushing touchdowns and hit Jared Rice for a 65-yard score.
Emeka Ndoh recovered his own strip-sack of Taylor Laird and, six plays later, a 1-yard touchdown run by Hokit gave Fresno State a 7-0 with 6:51 left in the first quarter.
Incarnate Word went three-and-out on each of its next seven possessions and the Bulldogs took a 34-0 lead into halftime.
Fresno State sandwiched back-to-back safeties — the second of which came on another sack by Ndoh — around a 30-yard touchdown run by Ronnie Rivers to open the third quarter and make it 45-0.
- Fresno State football fans enjoy beer despite extreme heatyourcentralvalley.com
- Record heat doesn't stop Fresno State football fans from enjoying season openerKFSN-TV
- Fresno State fans weather long lines to buy a beer (or 2) for first time since ...Fresno Bee
- Fresno State opens Jeff Tedford era with runaway football victoryFresno Bee
- Bulldog Stadium vibe starts with the tailgaters. Here's what they were up toFresno Bee
- Quick takeaways from Fresno State's 66-0 season-opening blowoutFresno Bee (blog)
- Derek Carr long dreamed of his Fresno State jersey retirement ceremonyFresno Bee
- Hokit, defence help Fresno St beat Incarnate Word 66-0National Post
- Fresno State wins 66-0 in season opener, retires Derek Carr's jersey at halftimeKMPH Fox 26