Baylor head coach Matt Rhule, right, walks off the field with linebacker Clay Johnston, left, following in the second half of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Sept. 2, 2017, in Waco, Texas.
WACO -- Matt Rhule, anointed permanent successor to the disgraced and dismissed Art Briles as Baylor's football coach, began his tenure by leading the Bears to a 48-45 loss to Liberty University of Lynchburg, Va.
Maryland's 51-41 victory over the heavily favored Texas Longhorns earlier in the day, 100 miles to the south along I-35, pales in comparison.
Ironically, it was Ian McCaw, the athletics director who left Baylor in May 2016 and landed in the same position at Liberty just months later, who scheduled the game for the Bears while he still worked in Waco.
On Baylor's final play from its own 42-yard line with six seconds remaining, Solomon was replaced by Zach Smith and his stronger passing arm.
- Liberty shocks Baylor in Matt Rhule's debut for BearsChron.com
- FCS Liberty, a 34-point underdog, gets first Power Five win with upset of BaylorCBSSports.com
- WATCH: Baylor's Chance Waz ejected from game for targeting on this ...Dallas News
- Baylor stunned by FCS school Liberty, 48-45, in Matt Rhule's Bears debutDallas News
- 5 takeaways from Baylor's upset loss to LibertyDallas News
- Matt Rhule is far from the first Baylor coach to lose his debutDallas News
- Baylor gave up 585 yards and lost to FCS Liberty. Here's the Bears' defense ...SB Nation
- Matt Rhule loses to massive underdog Liberty in Baylor debutPhilly.com
- Baylor football loses to Liberty 48-45: 3 things we learnedDieHards