As a standout defensive lineman during Saban’s tenure at LSU who would go on to a 9-year NFL career and is now a ESPN/SEC Network college football analyst, Spears can’t help but laugh when recalling one particular back-and-forth between Saban and his then-LSU offensive coordinator.
“We are killing the offense, … and they can’t (move the ball) like no yards, we’re getting to the quarterback,” Spears recalled during SEC Media Days.
We get confused, we don’t know where to line up, so Saban had one of his conniptions and it was a lot of words I can’t say being spewed, but basically, the gist of it was: ‘When I put something in and script it, you better damn well run it or we’re going to have a big problem out here on the football field.’”
Fisher honors his former mentor in the best way a coach can — by incorporating many of Saban’s particular principles and philosophies into re-establishing Florida State as a power player that can compete with Alabama on the biggest stage in college football.
- Dave George: Jimbo Fisher leads Noles into epic opener vs. AlabamaPalm Beach Post
- Crimson Tide's game against Seminoles called 'Greatest Opener of All Time'Alabama NewsCenter
- FSU Football Fan Rooting Guide, TV Listings: Week 1Tomahawk Nation
- Friends to foes: Jimbo Fisher, Nick Saban square off in marquee matchupSaintPetersBlog (blog)
- College football's new motto: Go big early, or stay home lateTampabay.com
- Florida State linebacker Matthew Thomas has lofty aspirations for final seasonOrlando Sentinel
- Your college football TV guide for this weekendVirginian-Pilot
- In the Process, Saban and Jimbo trustTampabay.com
- Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher, together again in a competitive arenaNewsOK.com