David Emmanuel, who designed her Wedding Dress, talked to CBS News about his friendship with the popular royal.
"In walked, on this appointment, this tall, slim, adorable girl, who said, 'I'm Lady Diana Spencer,'" he recalled, adding that she was "terribly unaffected, completely natural and real" as he helped her find a dress.
He and Diana struck a friendship, and Emmanuel eventually designed the elaborate wedding dress that inspired countless replicas in the '80s and '90s, including Mariah Carey's 1993 wedding dress.
But in spite of all of the frills and her royal title, Emmanuel said Diana was always kind — with "naughty eyes."
Reflecting on Thursday's sad anniversary — 20 years since Diana's death in a car crash in Paris — Emmanuel said, "I feel honored to have met her, to be part of her history."
- Feminist Germaine Greer calls Princess Diana the "worst f**k in the country ...Mirror.co.uk
- Princess Diana: Community pays tribute 20 years after her deathJewish News
- TV tonight: NBC's Diana special might be the best one yetThe Mercury News
- Princess Diana's Last Words Revealed by a Firefighter Who Tried to Save Her LifeBravo (blog)
- Princess Diana's Final Words Have Been Revealed, And They're HeartbreakingHuffington Post Canada
- What to watch this week: 'You're the Worst' is painfully funnyMadison.com
- September 1, 1997: The day that Britain went mad over DianaTelegraph.co.uk
- French Firefighter Reveals Princess Diana's Final Words 20 Years AgoSheKnows.com
- 10 Things We Learned About Princess Diana and Her Death from Diana, 7 DaysHarpersBAZAAR.com