This year, the Mackinac Bridge will close to vehicle traffic as an expected 40,000 people take the annual Labor Day opportunity to cross the span between Michigan’s peninsulas on foot.
“It should be expected that traffic flow in Northern Michigan will be impacted to some degree due to this morning’s Bridge closure,” said Capt.
With heavy backups expected, the Mackinac Bridge Authority plans to have portable toilets to place at intervals along those routes for motorists.
At that point, Sweeney said the weight of those walking the structure, without motor vehicles present, caused the suspension bridge to sway more than normal.
The Mackinac County 911 Emergency Management has set up a temporary text update system to provide information to travelers and bridge walkers as quickly as possible, at no cost.
- Mackinac Bridge makes final preparations before annual bridge walk closureUpNorthLive.com
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Mackinac Bridge closing 6:30 am - noon on Labor DayWXYZ
- Mighty Mac closed for Labor Day Bridge WalkWTVB
- Mackinac Bridge Closure Could Cause Traffic Snarls on Labor DayNBC Chicago
- Stay off I-75 on Labor Day, state police warn ahead of Mackinac Bridge closureMLive.com
- Coast Guard to enforce waterway restrictions around Mackinac Bridge during ...UpNorthLive.com
- Construction on most Michigan roads easing up for Labor Day weekendMLive.com
- State Police Preparing For Mackinac Bridge WalkNews/Talk 94.9 WSJM
- Michigan State Police Watch For Distracted Driving During Holiday Weekend9&10 News