It was a spread-covering win in the kind of setup that can catch a big favorite by surprise – on the road, in conference play, on a Thursday night stage that often brings out the best in the home underdog.
Dobbins got his chance because returning starter Mike Weber was nursing a tweaked hamstring, and he broke the door down and might have taken the position away.
The fifth-year senior can be more conservative than Ted Cruz at times, but he’s been around long enough (a decade, it seems) to know that the surest predictor of success in football is turnover margin.
Barrett missed a couple of potential big throws, and senior receiver Parris Campbell continued a career of fitful production by dropping a touchdown.
But give credit to the Hoosiers for a smart game plan that featured a lot of quick throws to the perimeter to negate some of that rush.
- Sports Today: What to make of Ohio State's opening winMyDaytonDailyNews
- Indiana suffers yet another gutpunch loss, plus Thursday night's other stuff ...SB Nation
- Ohio State football: Freshman JK Dobbins shines in record-setting debut win ...NCAA.com
- Parris Campbell's bounce-back TD shows how dangerous Ohio State can beLandof10.com
- Ohio State tops Indiana as JK Dobbins shines and JT Barrett breaks a recordLandof10.com
- Ohio State's new offense is just getting startedESPN
- Dienhart: Buckeyes' opening salvo impressive in 49-21 win at IndianaBig Ten Network
- No. 2 Ohio State pulls away late for 49-21 win over IUIndiana Daily Student