HARRISON, N.J. • As Christian Pulisic warmed up for training ahead of Friday’s critical World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica, retired goalkeeper Kasey Keller marveled at the young American star who might wind up the country’s best ever.
At an age when most American soccer players still are establishing themselves in youth programs, he has seven goals in 16 international appearances, including five in World Cup qualifying.
Used primarily as a flank midfielder at first by Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel, Pulisic took on a more central role in the second half of last season when Marco Reus injured a knee.
He scored against Bayern Munich in the German Super Cup to start the new season, then added a goal and assist in Dortmund’s Bundesliga opener under new coach Peter Bosz, a 3-0 win at Wolfsburg.
After losing 2-1 at home to Mexico and 4-0 at Costa Rica under Klinsmann in the start of the final round of the North and Central American and Caribbean region, the U.S. has climbed the standings under Arena.
- US playing crucial World Cup qualifier in a city it once avoided. Will it have ...Los Angeles Times
- USA soccer vs. Costa Rica in World Cup qualifier: Live updates, Time, TV ...OregonLive.com
- Zusi at forefront of Arena's fullback overhaul for USMNTGoal Canada
- Column: Is it a problem that Christian Pulisic is the United States' best player?UConn Daily Campus
- USA-Costa Rica: Three decisions Bruce Arena must makeSoccer America
- Zusi's versatility handy familiar opponents, US and Costa Rica, square upMLSsoccer.com
- USA soccer has righted its course for World Cup. The next step: 'Finish the job.'Washington Post
- Old Reliable: Beasley Is Back for the US, Eyeing a Fifth World CupNew York Times
- It May Not Be Mexico-Level, but There's Plenty of On-Field Fuel to USA-Costa ...Sports Illustrated