Aldrick Rosas hit a 48-yard field goal as time expired, Smith threw a touchdown and the New York Giants earned a 40-38 win over the New England Patriots in the final exhibition game for both teams Thursday night.
Smith entered the night with the inside track to win the Giants' backup quarterback job behind Eli Manning.
The Giants scored 34 points in the first half, but the Patriots outscored them 24-3 over the final 29 minutes before Rosas' field goal.
Third-stringer Jacoby Brissett threw for 341 yards and four touchdowns, and ran for another to nearly lead the Super Bowl champions back from a 20-point halftime deficit.
- New York Giants 53-Man Roster Projection: Chris's VersionBig Blue View
- Jacoby Brissett makes the most of a rare chance to playYahoo Sports
- Does Geno Smith believe he's won Giants' backup QB job?NJ.com
- Giants may have found a kicker — and a backup QBNew York Post
- 5 takeaways from the Patriots' 40-38 loss to the GiantsBoston.com
- Patriots Journal: Injury to Jones hurts return gameThe Providence Journal
- Stock Watch: Brissett comes up bigPatriots.com
- Jacoby Brissett shines in Patriots' preseason loss to GiantsBoston Herald
- Belichick on final cuts: Always hard, but it can't work out for everybodyComcast SportsNet New England