“Deadpool” actor Ed Skrein brought the conversation of Hollywood whitewashing to the forefront thanks to his decision to exit a role in the new “Hellboy” movie.
As previously reported , Skrein was cast in the upcoming “Hellboy” reboot as a character from the comic books that is Japanese.
The actor released a statement after the backlash from the casting announcement saying that he was not aware of the character’s comic origins when he took the role.
Rapper Ed Skrein arrives at the 2016 MTV Movie Awards in Burbank, California April 9, 2016.
“Thank you @edskrein for standing up against hollywoods continuous insensitivity and flippant behavior towards the Asian American community.
- Marvel Actress Changed Her Chinese Surname Because 'Hollywood Is Racist'HuffPost
- 'Hollywood is racist': Actor Chloe Bennet defends name changeSBS
- Agents of SHIELD's Chloe Bennet Says "Hollywood Is Racist," and Has ProofTV Guide
- Chloe Bennet Defends Changing Her Chinese Surname With An Unapologetic ClapbackBustle
- Chicago native Chloe Bennet said she changed her last name because 'racist ...Chicago Tribune
- 'Agents of SHIELD' Star Says She Changed Her Last Name Because 'Hollywood Is ...Variety
- 'Agents of SHIELD' star Chloe Bennet speaks out about discrimination in HollywoodABC News
- Chloe Bennet Changed Name Because 'Hollywood Is Racist'Newsline
- Agents of SHIELD's Chloe Bennet on Whitewashing: 'Hollywood is Racist'CBR (blog)