Detroit Tigers starting pitcher Justin Verlander delivers to Colorado Rockies’ DJ LeMahieu in the first inning of a baseball game Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017, in Denver.
The possibility of frittering away home-field advantage and having to face a five-game series against Boston or Cleveland – that is, against Chris Sale or Corey Kluber twice – makes holding onto that top spot in the league over the last 29 games entirely imperative.
And though the Astros have the AL West well locked up and understand the postseason is an unpredictable witch, ready to smite even those who don’t deserve it, the Charlie Morton-Brad Peacock-Collin McHugh rotation grab bag gave Houston as much agita as it did comfort.
The Tigers, who took a hard line on the prospect return despite Verlander’s big-money contract, were rewarded for their position, with general manager Al Avila fortifying a farm system that needs it.
They hope one great day turns into another and another and another, that McCullers and star shortstop Carlos Correa return healthy, that they keep home field, that they vanquish the wild-card winner, that they capture the pennant, that Kate Upton joins George Bush as their most famous fans en route to their first World Series win.
- Astros acquire ace pitcher Justin Verlander from TigersESPN
- Dose: Houston Verlands AceYahoo Sports
- Justin Verlander's best moments with the Detroit TigersDetroit Free Press
- Tigers deal Justin Verlander to Astros in last-minute deadline stunnerUSA TODAY
- The Angels Give Mike Trout the Help He Needs by Acquiring Justin Upton From TigersYahoo Sports
- Astros strike at midnight, acquire Justin Verlander from TigersYahoo Sports
- Breaking down Justin Verlander's contractChron.com
- Justin time: Astros get Verlander in last-minute deadline tradeChron.com
- Stunner! Detroit Tigers trade Justin Verlander to Houston Astros for 3 prospectsDetroit Free Press