Both handsets come with the signature Xperia design, which Sony has been doing for quite some time now.
Each mode will have a guide to help users capture a 3D scan, but the general idea here is that users will simply point their XZ1 cameras at an object and move it around to perform a scan.
After completing a 3D scan, users will be able to creat avatars with it and send it to their friends via messaging apps or share it on social media.
Sony is actually planning to integrate the 3D scanning feature for video games, as wells as for 3D printing, according to Phone Arena .
As for the rest of its software, both the Xperia XZ1 and XZ1 Compact will run Android 8.0 Oreo straight out of the box.
- Sony Launches the Xperia XZ1 and Xperia XZ1 Compact at IFA 2017XDA Developers (blog)
- Sony Xperia XZ1 and Xperia XZ1 Compact Unveiled OfficiallyTheLeaker (blog)
- Sony launches three Xperia smartphones at IFA 2017The Straits Times
- Sony Announces Which Devices They're Updating to Android OreoXDA Developers (blog)
- Sony Equips the Xperia XZ1 with 3D Scanning and Image Creation SoftwareXDA Developers (blog)
- Sony launches Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ1 Compact, Xperia XA1 Plus at IFA 2017Deccan Chronicle
- Sony confirms Android 8.0 Oreo update for 2016 models; no mention of when to ...Firstpost
- Sony introduces new Xperia XZ1 and XZ1 CompactPhoneDog
- These weird-looking wireless earbuds let you listen to music and conversations ...Mashable