On my hands-on device, multiple shots of me walking towards the Camera all looked clear, with just the last one appearing fuzzy, which is understandable as I had gotten closer than arm's length away from the phone.
Its 13-MP front camera also takes sharp selfies, and Sony finally added a display flash feature that lights up your screen to brighten up portraits in low-light.
On my preview unit, I activated this by pressing the flash button on the top left of the viewfinder in selfie mode, and a warm, flattering light took over the screen for a second when I snapped the picture.
The XZ1 Compact will also run Android Oreo when it ships, and sports an 8-megapixel front camera with a wide 120-degree field of view so you can take selfies that include more friends or surroundings.
But Sony doesn't have the smartphone clout and the vast legions of fans that Sammy and Apple do, and the Xperias, while respectable, aren't quite as advanced as the latest Galaxies and iPhones.
- Sony's Xperia XZ1 will ship with Android Oreo and a camera that doubles as a ...TechCrunch
- Sony's Xperia XZ1 and XZ1 Compact have refreshed designs and Android OreoThe Verge
- Sony Xperia XZ1 launched with 3-D picture feature for augmented realityCNBC
- Sony's Xperia Ear Open Style is its most promising concept yetEngadget
- Sony Xperia XZ1 hands-on with XZ1 CompactSlashGear
- Sony Xperia Ear Open-Style Concept hands-on: Smarter than AirPodsSlashGear
- Sony made the perfect wireless earbuds for all you crazy distracted music loversMashable
- Sony Xperia XZ1 and XZ1 Compact: Sony can do better than thisArs Technica
- Sony's XZ1 and XZ1 Compact are all about the camera tricksCNET