After sitting down his slumping slugger for two days — including a series-opening loss to Cleveland one night earlier — Joe Girardi indicated that the rookie outfielder “absolutely” will play in at least one of the games in today’s Doubleheader against the Indians.
Judge, who was not available to the media for a second straight day, is batting .179 with seven home runs, 16 RBI and 65 strikeouts in 41 games since the All-Star break.
The Yanks won’t face AL East rival Boston again during the regular season after the weekend set concludes on Sunday.
The rain-induced rotation shift aligns the Yanks’ four best starters to face the first-place Red Sox, and Girardi revealed they had been considering recalling the rookie Montgomery (7-6, 4.00) anyway from Triple-A Scranton to start today against Cleveland, regardless of the weather.
There’s still been no announcement from MLB on the appeals of the suspensions for catchers Gary Sanchez (four games) and Austin Romine (two) stemming from their involvement in the Yanks’ bench-clearing incidents with Detroit last Thursday.
- LEADING OFF: Stanton Chases Record; NL Central ShowdownU.S. News & World Report
- Cleveland Indians have a secret to second-half success -- Terry Pluto (video)cleveland.com
- Aaron Judge mini-vacation overNew York Post
- Rain Leaves Yankees With Doubleheader Before Key Boston SeriesNew York Times
- New York Yankees' Fans Should Not Be Discouraged by Wild CardElite Sports NY
- Judge coming off the bench, CC to open Red Sox seriesNorthJersey.com
- Indians top Yanks...Brewers beat Redbirds...Astros eye Saturday home game ...WMDT
- Indians' game with Yankees postponed; doubleheader set for todayChronicle Telegram
- Yankees, Indians set for doubleheaderYahoo Sports