It appears the Cubs are going to have to wait a little longer before retaining shortstop Addison Russell's services.
He was batting just .241 with 10 home runs and 36 RBIs this season before the injury.
The Cubs entered Wednesday's game against the Pirates with a three-game lead in the National League Central after the Brewers hung on to win earlier against the Cardinals.
Javier Baez has been playing shortstop full time since Russell's injury.
While Baez is a capable defender, Russell's return would give the Cubs more depth and flexibility with their lineup.
- Cubs shortstop Addison Russell scratched from rehab assignment with foot sorenessChicago Tribune
- Are the Cardinals waving the white flag?Comcast SportsNet Chicago
- Cubs' Addison Russell Scratched From Rehab Start, Sent Back To Chicago For ...CBS Chicago
- Addison Russell scratched from rehab assignmentFanRag Sports (blog)
- Cubs Set Franchise Record With 6 Players Hitting 20 Home RunsCBS Chicago
- SportsTalk Live Podcast: Jason Heyward talks World Series aspirationsComcast SportsNet Chicago
- Addison Russell scratched from rehab assignment with plantar fasciitisESPN
- Another setback for Cubs shortstop Addison RussellComcast SportsNet Chicago
- Cubs SS Russell has setback in recovery from foot injuryYahoo Sports