Russell felt soreness in his right foot during pregame work Wednesday before Triple-A Iowa's game at Memphis and was scratched from the lineup.
The Cubs had anticipated that Russell, 23, who is bating .241 with 10 home runs and 36 RBIs, could rejoin them as soon as the end of this weekend.
But the latest development places pause on his return, especially due to the delicate nature of the injury.
Russell went 1-for-3 with a double and handled two grounders flawlessly Monday night in his first game on a minor-league rehab assignment.
Heading into Wednesday night, Zobrist had played a total of eight innings at the position over three games this year.
- Cubs' Addison Russell Scratched From Rehab Start, Sent Back To Chicago For ...CBS Chicago
- Cubs SS Addison Russell reportedly suffers another setbackSporting News
- Chicago Cubs get mixed injury newsChicago Daily Herald
- Addison Russell scratched from rehab assignmentFanRag Sports (blog)
- Addison Russell scratched from rehab assignment with plantar fasciitisESPN
- Another setback for Cubs shortstop Addison RussellComcast SportsNet Chicago
- SportsTalk Live Podcast: Jason Heyward talks World Series aspirationsComcast SportsNet Chicago
- Predicting the Chicago Cubs 2017 September callupsDa Windy City
- Cubs SS Russell has setback in recovery from foot injuryRichmond.com