The Gophers football coach declared “they’re both the starter” a couple of weeks ago when talking about senior Conor Rhoda and sophomore Demry Croft.
Nelson recovered and led a four-game winning streak, but then Minnesota’s offense dried up in losses to Wisconsin, Michigan State and Syracuse in the Texas Bowl.
Rhoda completed seven of 15 passes in his lone start, subbing for an injured Leidner, at Maryland last fall for 82 yards and a touchdown — and the Gophers won 31-10.
Fleck said he has learned from his first year at Western Michigan, when freshman Zach Terrell eventually seized the starting job after splitting time.
“Nothing is more telling when those guys get under the lights and the stands are filled,” said Terrell, a four-year starter who led Western Michigan to a Cotton Bowl appearance last season.
- Finally, Fleck's debut at Minnesota has arrivedWinona Daily News
- Hard to believe, but Gophers coach PJ Fleck getting more excited as kickoff ...TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press
- Two Gophers QBs? It's actually quite common recently at MinnesotaMinneapolis Star Tribune
- Gophers vs. Buffalo game day: Look for Gophers to overpower lower-rung MAC teamMinneapolis Star Tribune
- Gophers football: How does Minnesota stack up against Buffalo?TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press
- Pioneer Press 2017 Big Ten football picks: Week 1TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press
- PJ Fleck's change mission extends into Gophers' standsMinneapolis Star Tribune
- Zulgad: How good of coach is PJ Fleck? Gophers fans are about to find out1500 ESPN
- Fleck hopes Gophers quarterbacks gain confidence in season openerWadena Pioneer Journal