According to Youtube, this mode is intended to create a "a more cinematic look" for viewers, and also make it more comfortable to browse and watch videos at night.
The new Dark Theme will only be available on the desktop version of YouTube, meaning those accessing the service on their smartphones will have to put up with the old white background.
The new look applies Google's Material Design, which aims to provide a fresh, simple and intuitive user interface.
The mobile app has also been updated to feature new gesture controls - so you can now double tap on the left or right side of a video to fast forward or rewind 10 seconds.
"Designed for our multi-screen world, the updated Logo combines a cleaned up version of the YouTube wordmark and Icon, creating a more flexible design that works better across a variety of devices, even on the tiniest screens," said Neal Mohan, chief product officer at YouTube in a blog post .
- YouTube gets a makeover with a new logo and app redesignHindustan Times
- LOOK: YouTube launches new logo, new look and 'Dark Theme'Inquirer.net
- YouTube rolls out new icon, design changes for mobile, desktop appThe Indian Express
- YouTube gets a new design and logo, more features addedIndia Today
- YouTube gets new design, brings more features to appBusiness Standard
- YouTube rolls out redesign and unveils new logoBetaNews
- YouTube has a new logo - find out what else has changedBT.com
- YouTube's fresh logo drops the red tubeDigital Arts Online
- These are the big changes coming to YouTubeGadgets Now