As the sun emerged and water began to recede in parts of flood-ravaged Houston, Tropical Storm Harvey shifted its wrath to the Beaumont-Port Arthur area of Texas, hitting the region Tuesday and Wednesday with record-breaking rainfall and devastating floods.
“Our whole city is underwater right now but we are coming!” Port Arthur’s mayor, Derrick Freeman, said in a Facebook message overnight, as desperate residents sent out calls for help on social media.
While concerns lingered over flooding in the southwest, the attention will soon be turning to rainfall in central parts of the state, as Harvey travels northward, and in New Orleans, where the city’s drainage pumps have been plagued by problems.
The Houston Police Department requested the curfew partly in response to reports of “small-scale looting” and other crimes, Chief Art Acevedo said at a news conference Tuesday evening.
The Army Corps of Engineers said Wednesday morning that efforts to slow the rise of water levels at two large flood-control reservoirs west of downtown were succeeding, reducing the risk of additional flooding.
- 'Whole city' now underwater as Harvey makes another landfallCNN
- Harvey: Thousands waiting for rescue, estimated 30000 to 40000 homes destroyed ...Yahoo News
- Harvey's Death Toll Rises to 17 As Flooding Prompts Nation's Largest Refinery ...The Weather Channel
- Hurricane Harvey floods evacuee shelter in Port Arthur, TexasCNBC
- Harvey shuts down largest US oil refinery, bears down on Louisiana plantsCNBC
- Largest refinery in North America, owned by Saudi Arabia, goes dark in Harvey ...Washington Examiner
- After leaving thousands homeless in Houston, Harvey hits LouisianaAOL
- Port Arthur mayor: 'Our whole city is underwater'USA TODAY
- Nearly one-quarter of US fuel output shut, and Harvey isn't doneYahoo News