The absence of many big names, including Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic and Stan Wawrinka, has left the draw wide open this year, however, and Isner and Sam Querrey both impressed on day one.
Isner, the 10th seed, took care of business with a 6-1 6-3 4-6 6-3 win over France’s Pierre-Hugues Herbert, revelling in the cooler than usual conditions at Flushing Meadows.
With his big serve clicking and a new-found aggression on returns, Isner won titles in Newport and Atlanta this summer, but when it comes to his hopes and expectations, “nothing has changed”.
Jared Donaldson and Steve Johnson also won through but 13th seed Jack Sock was not so fortunate, going down 6-2 7-6(12) 1-6 5-7 6-4 to Australian Jordan Thompson.
- US Open betting preview: Federer leads Nadal atop men's odds for tournamentNBC Sports - Misc. (blog)
- Venus wins, stays in No. 1 huntSouth Bend Tribune
- Venus Williams On Competing in US Open Without Serena: 'It's A Completely ...Just Jared
- Venus Williams opens US Open with win over KuzmovaSharonherald
- Venus Williams: Serena's pregnancy has been 'pretty intense' for usNew York Post
- Venus Williams admits she didn't even know what her US Open opponent looked likeMetro
- Venus Williams claims three-set victory at US OpenThe Boston Globe
- US Open glance: Sharapova, Venus, del Potro in actionThe Bellingham Herald
- Venus Williams kicks off US Open with thrilling winIndia.com