Last Thursday evening, William Byron was hanging out at home when he got a phone call he likely won’t forget anytime soon.
It’s a family legacy as much as one of excellence, and it dates back to 1976, the first year the elder Elliott raced it in the Cup series.
As for Byron, he told the Observer on Tuesday that he isn’t intimidated by the number; rather, he’s excited to prove that he deserves it, that he can be the next great driver for Hendrick Motorsports, which is currently undergoing a youth movement of sorts.
Byron was an aspiring NASCAR Xfinity Series driver, and Gordon said he should sign with Hendrick Motorsports.
He did, and a year later, he’s earned a spot in the Cup series – that, and a chance to reward the driver who helped jumpstart his career.
- Chase Elliott to race father's iconic No. 9 car for 2018 seasonSporting News
- William Byron to drive No. 24 next year; Chase Elliott brings back No. 9Nascar
- Hendrick Motorsports to change car numbers for 2018 seasonMotorsport.com, Edition: Global
- Hendrick swap: Byron to drive No. 24 in 2018 while Elliott drives No. 9Yahoo Sports
- Chase Elliott moving to father's No. 9 in number swapKSNT News
- More change coming to Hendrick MotorsportsWCYB
- Hendrick Motorsports drivers chime in on Elliott, Byron number newsNascar
- Hendrick Motorsports makes changes to its Monster Energy NASCAR Cup car lineup ...Autoweek
- Byron to drive No. 24, Elliott in No. 9 for Hendrick Motorsports next NASCAR ...CBSSports.com