Twice Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova Scraped into the second round of the U.S. Open by beating former world number one Jelena Jankovic of Serbia 7-5 7-5 on Monday.
Reuters | Aug 29, 2017, 10:04 IST NEW YORK: Twice Wimbledon Champion Petra Kvitova scraped into the second round of the U.S. Open by beating former world number one Jelena Jankovic of Serbia 7-5 7-5 on Monday.
The Czech 13th seed, in search of top form after a mediocre build-up to the year's final grand slam, struggled to adapt to Jankovic's counter-punching style but eventually wore down the 2008 runner-up to set up a meeting with France's Alize Cornet.
Kvitova, who returned to competition inh May five months after being stabbed in her hand by an intruder at her home, won a first set that featured three breaks of serve as both players struggled to find their range in Louis Armstrong Stadium .
Thailand Passport Control Crisis Prompts Widespread Critic.. Nikkei Asian Review
- Konta, Ferrer crash out of US Open; Sharapova winsJapan Today
- Former No.1 Jankovic optimistic despite uncertain futureWTA Tennis
- Muguruza underway at US OpenRadio New Zealand
- The Latest: Wimbledon champ Muguruza advances at US OpenKIRO Seattle
- Kvitova kicks off the US Open with a win over JankovicWTA Tennis
- Kvitova enjoying return to normalcy in New Yorkgulfnews.com