On a Monday night with the vibe of a later-round affair, the five-time major champion showed off her big match pedigree and resoundingly silenced any of her doubters.
2 seed Romanian Simona Halep 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 at Arthur Ashe Stadium in the first round of the US Open and in her first Grand Slam appearance since the lengthy ban.
The 30-year-old, who was able to compete in the final major of the year thanks to a wild-card exemption from the U.S. Tennis Association, moved well and showed no signs of injury en route to the surprising victory.
She later claimed that the positive test occurred because of a miscommunication as a result of the drug being added to the World Tennis Association’s banned substances list earlier in 2016.
An already controversial figure in the sport, the 2006 US Open champion received very little support from inside and outside the tennis community for the failed test and subsequent explanation.
- The Latest: Sharapova downs Halep in return to US OpenYahoo Sports
- The Latest: American Jack Sock falls in US Open first roundseattlepi.com
- Maria Sharapova on Growing Up Poor and Learning to Compete Against 'Spoiled Brats'Money Magazine
- Maria Sharapova battles past world No. 2 Simona Halep on Grand Slam return at ...Metro
- US Open: Maria Sharapova makes her grand slam return against Simona HalepHerald Sun
- US Open: Shapovalov cruises to 1st victory in Grand Slam eventCBC.ca
- Sharapova upsets No. 2 Halep at US OpenTSN
- I Doped Like Maria Sharapova And It Was Actually Pretty GreatDeadspin
- Sharapova's Slam return steals US Open spotlightPune Mirror