In truth, the beta period of this landmark deal comprised most of the last 10 months; now the throttle has been moved to “full speed ahead” general availability.
Like any other Cloud deployment, the partnership enables VMware to focus on developing its products and not have to deal with the issues around hosting them, which has never been its primary business.
However, the service will be integrated with AWS's own cloud portfolio, which provides computing, databases, analytics and a few different levels of storage, among other features.
VMware Cloud on AWS is a jointly architected service that represents a significant investment in engineering, operations, support and sales resources from both companies.
enterprise capabilities of Vmware Sddc with the agility, functionality and operational expertise of AWS's public cloud; identical skills, tools, and processes for managing private and public cloud environments, so users have consistent operations, improved productivity and reduced costs; fast and bi-directional workload portability between private and public clouds; flexibility to choose where to run applications based on business needs, while having access to a broad set of AWS services and infrastructure elasticity for VMware SDDC environments; rapid time to value with the ability to scale host capacity up or down in a few minutes, and spin up an entire VMware SDDC in under a couple hours; and the ability to run, manage and secure applications in a hybrid IT environment without having to purchase custom hardware, rewrite applications, or modify operating models.
- VMware and AWS launch joint cloud service out of betaVentureBeat
- VMware expands multi-cloud offerings, adds new intent-based security productZDNet
- VMware's hybrid cloud product for Amazon Web Services now generally availableGeekWire
- Dell EMC, HPE, and Lenovo outline next-gen hyper-converged systems on VMwareZDNet
- VMware Launches AppDefense to Secure Virtual Machines and the CloudeWeek
- VMware AppDefense automates security for apps and data in virtual environmentsTechRepublic
- Dell EMC Announces Several Solution Advancements Surrounding VMwareStorageReview.com
- VMware Cloud is now live on AWS — and IT pros just did a little happy danceTechCrunch
- VMWare releases AppDefense to protect enterprise virtual environmentsZDNet