The 33-year-old Brooks, who was released by the San Francisco 49ers on Friday in a cost-cutting move after nine seasons with the team, could help a group that entered training camp with unproven depth — despite coach Mike McCarthy’s proclamation to the contrary this spring — and now might be facing even bigger questions.
All this is happening at a position where McCarthy insisted during organized team activities that the Packers have “as good as depth as we’ve had there in some time.” With Perry and Elliott out, Reggie Gilbert, who spent last season on the practice squad as an undrafted rookie out of Arizona, played extensively and was up and down.
The Packers also didn’t bring back 2013 first-round pick Datone Jones, who went to the rival Minnesota Vikings on a one-year deal with an eye on moving to his original position on the defensive line.
Brooks was set to count $6.1 million against the 49ers’ cap this season and became expendable in the eyes of new general manager John Lynch and new head coach Kyle Shanahan.
In 2015, he was charged with misdemeanor sexual battery by the Santa Clara, California, district attorney’s office — in a case that remains open — in connection with a 2014 incident at then-49ers teammate Ray McDonald’s home.
- Former Virginia star Ahmad Brooks to visit PackersDieHards
- Report | Ahmad Brooks to visit PackersFanRag Sports (blog)
- Packers to visit with OLB Ahmad Brooks on Tuesday, per reportAcme Packing Company
- Report: Broncos are showing interest in linebacker Ahmad BrooksMile High Report (blog)
- Packers, Broncos interested in LB Ahmad BrooksAll 22
- Packers Look to Brooks to Bolster OLB CorpsScout
- Reports: Former 49ers outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks visiting Green BayWGBA-TV
- Should the Packers add veteran OLB Ahmad Brooks?Packers Wire
- Free-agent linebacker Ahmad Brooks to visit PackersNFL.com