By Lauren Silva Laughlin DALLAS, Aug 24 (Reuters Breakingviews) - The Trump administration’s latest pitch for reviving Coal lacks a rich seam.
When the cost of gas soared during the polar vortex of 2014, coal plants provided 92 percent of increased power generation needed to keep the heat on in Americans’ homes.
What’s really missing, though, is a push for innovative solutions that would give the United States the ultimate trifecta: clean, reliable and cheap fuel.
South Australia, for example, has just enlisted SolarReserve to build a solar thermal plant using molten salt to store energy for eight hours after sunset.
- US Department Of Energy Officially Declares War On Renewable EnergyEconoTimes
- The Trump Administration Just Proved (Again) It Likes Coal More Than FactsTIME
- Climate change and renewable energy under attack from Trump's White House of LiesRed, Green, and Blue
- For the 1st time, natural gas tops coal for producing power, says Energy ...Denver Business Journal
- How Liquified Natural Gas WorksPopular Mechanics
- Study: High-Tech Controls Essential to Integrating Power Grid with Wind, SolarGovernment Technology
- US Energy Dept. Grid Study Calls for Boost to Coal, Nuclear PowerJakarta Globe
- The (Only) Culprit Of Coal's DemiseSeeking Alpha
- DOE report shows power grid switching to natural gas and away from coalSan Antonio Business Journal