The Spartans used a pair of Josh Crawford to Bailey Gaither touchdowns passes to sculpt a 16-0 first quarter lead over the visitors from the American Athletic Conference.
The Bulls also lost standout defensive tackle Deadrin Senat on an ejection after a targeting penalty on the first of those two TDs, so things could hardly have gone any better for the underdog Spartans.
By halftime the squad from Tampa, Florida, owned a 28-16 lead and all momentum against an SJSU team that dropped to 0-10 in season openers against Top-25 opponents.
Stopping the run was a consistent trouble spot last year, when the Spartans allowed nearly 247 yards on the ground per game on the way to a 4-8 record that led to coach Ron Caragher’s firing after four seasons.
* One bright spot for the Spartans was senior punter Michael Carrizoza, who averaged 44.5 yards on 11 kicks, including a 68-yarder and four that were downed inside the 20-yard line.
- College football scores, schedule 2017: South Florida rebounds after rough startCBSSports.com
- Ohio State moms take to Twitter to announce several Buckeyes startersNBCSports.com
- WATCH: USF RB D'Ernest Johnson gets huge block for 50-yard touchdown runNCAA.com
- USF's shaky start morphs into 42-22 thumping of San Jose StateTampabay.com
- D'Ernest Johnson's patience pays as he becomes USF's starting RBTampabay.com
- WATCH: South Florida running back drops an early candidate for run of the yearCBSSports.com
- 'No decision made' on Indiana WR Simmie Cobbs playing vs. Ohio StateNBCSports.com
- Thirteen freshmen travel with Bulls to San Jose StateTampabay.com (blog)
- No. 19 S. Florida beats San Jose St. 42-22 after slow startABC News