But the fact remains that without Edelman, who averaged more yards per game (99.1) than any wide receiver in the NFL from Week 10 on last season (including playoffs), an adjustment period will be needed for Brady and Co.
Cameron Fleming did nothing to help his cause as a reserve offensive tackle for the Patriots behind Nate Solder and Marcus Cannon – and that’s assuming Solder’s health for the team’s regular season opener on Sept. 7 vs. the Kansas City Chiefs.
LaAdrian Waddle struggled in the preseason game vs. Jacksonville and has since missed time with a concussion, while rookie Antonio Garcia is yet establish himself thanks to some injures of his own.
The Patriots offense looked downright pedestrian in the second half once the starters left the game – it had three straight three-and-outs to open the third quarter – a large part in why Detroit was able to turn a 24-0 deficit into a 28-24 lead.
Trailing 28-27 with 2:01 to go in the fourth quarter and the ball at the Patriots 32-yard line, Garoppolo connected with Cody Hollister for 37 yards to get on the cusp of field goal range right off the bat.
- 2017 Fantasy Football Draft Prep: Julian Edelman's reported ACL injury a boost ...CBSSports.com
- Patriots' Julian Edelman carted off after suffering reported torn ACLYahoo Sports
- Julian Edelman feared to have torn ACL after injuring knee vs. LionsESPN
- “Frustrated, Tired” Davis Learns Valuable Lessons Versus PatriotsCBS Detroit
- Photos: Patriots 30, Lions 28Detroit Free Press
- Reports: Patriots believe Julian Edelman tore his ACLYahoo Sports
- Julian Edelman injured in Patriots win over LionsWCVB Boston
- Julian Edelman and Spencer Ware's injuries show how dangerous the preseason can beSB Nation
- Julian Edelman injured in Patriots' 30-28 win over LionsABC News